Friday 20 July 2012

RANDOM : so 2chainz has some pretty delicious artwork...

Kanye West's "G.O.O.D. Music" signee 2chainz is everywhere, if you don't know who he is - I bet you'll have heard him lay a few bars on your fave's latest smash (or at least the remix version...). I had kind of put him into the category of 'yes, a talented rapper, but I'm not going to go out of my way to listen to him/buy his music' etc. etc. But , I had to rethink that when I saw his album artwork. Check it out below (titled 'Based On A T.R.U. Story'):


Now, I hope you can see why I find this piece enjoyable: it feels considered (inverting the parental advisory sticker so it fits with the palette), well executed (the photography is invitingly clear where you don't want to look away) and - most importantly - it is simple (which in the rap genre is rare, with artwork often very garish and o.t.t.). Look at it alongside the 'Deluxe Edition' cover of the album as well and the cover feels like even more of a solid piece:


BOOM - Yes and yes! This artwork actually makes me want to know more about the artist, giving the impression that with a well orchestrated visual comes a bit more of a considered approach to the music as well. This artwork is no accident, it is a creation from Yeezy's DONDA design company (a collection of creatives, who Kanye employs to help him create graphic design, visuals and "galvanise amazing thinking" - read more about it  here). For me, I completely see the considered approach given to this visual and I applaud it. Also check out single artwork for 2chainz's latest 'Birthday Song (Ft. Kanye)':


Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment